Monday 30 August 2010

Chocolate Cake (with a twist)

Do you have kids who love the naughty foods but aren't so great with the good veg foods etc? Well a friend of mine did so when they came round we got her littleun and mine to do some baking. This recipe mixed the fun of chocolate with the goodness of the secret ingredient... Courgette/zucchini.


to make you will need
450g courgettes/zucchini, peeled
250g butter, softened
250g light brown soft sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
125ml milk
1tsp baking powder
350g self-raising flour
4tbsp cocoa powder

cake tin 30x20cm greased

Method:

Turn oven to 180c/350f/gas4.

Cut greaseproof paper to tin size to add extra protection.

Grate courgettes/zucchini finely.

Put softened butter, sugar and extract into bowl and beat with wooden spoon.

Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk with fork.

Gradually add eggs to the mixture, add the milk and whisk together.

Carefully sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Taking a metal spoon fold the mixture.

Spoon mix into the tin then bake for between 35 and 45 mins.

Test centre of cake with skewer and if right leave to cool.


Sit back and stuff yourself silly...

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh yes, zucchini makes all baking so moist and delicious -- cakes, muffins, everything! And I'm glad to know what "courgettes" are -- I've seen that term in British articles and recipes but was never sure what it referred to! Now I know.

Willow said...

If you ever want more recipes for cake/cookies and goodies with zucchini you should look at Cook Yourself Thin. I *love* their recipes.

Anonymous said...

I've seen this done with pumpkin too. Logic says it should be ok with most stuff. Carrot and parsnip cake anyone? Maybe I'll try that one and see lol! I've got a great recipe for choc and chestnut cake that I want to try out when the chestnuts start to fall this year. Sounds delicious!

... I think I'm going to have to go look at cook yourself thing - sounds perfect!

Nellie x

Anonymous said...

Hello again :)
I was thinking about starting another blog on pagan parenting as the resources available seem to be fairly sparse. I thought you would be perfect to contribute towards something like this and i'm hoping you might beinterested??
No idea at all how to get something like this working but i'm going to try lol!
Nellie x